Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

IA2

Throughout this school year I have spoke with Jake Klassa, a family friend, who graduated from Michigan State University in 2015. Jake studied Supply Chain Management while attending Michigan State and after his junior year landed an internship with Ford Motor Company. Following the summer internship, he was offered a full time position after his senior year of college. Jake is planning on pursuing a Masters degree and furthering his education in supply chain management. 

After taking two years off of school,  I was worried about coming to college and being able to focus enough on school to earn the grades I wanted. That is when Jake and I began the dialogue we have continued throughout this year. A couple things he shared with me were: to always plan like the assignment is due two days before the real due date, and to never be afraid to reach out for help. Planning like assignments are due two days earlier has been extremely beneficial and allowed me the time to make corrections and turn in my best work, while rarely falling behind. The tight community has made the second piece of advice very easy, knowing all professors are willing to help when needed has benefitted me greatly.

Before interning with Ford, Jake had previously job shadowed with the supply chain manager at Henry Ford Hospital in Michigan. Some great advice he has kept reminding me is to not be afraid of rejection, to shake as many hands as possible and build connections now and some day down the road it will pay off. Another important detail to building a good resume for the future has been to get as much experience as possible, while also making sure that those are quality experiences to reap the benefits.

In the article, "All Accounted For: A Networking Mixer to Celebrate Accounting Month", on Chatham's Business Insider, had a couple similarities to keys to success that Jake and I have discussed. Corey Doeing was quoted staying, "The point made most prevalent by all the panelists was being well-rounded. Accounting, just like many other fields, does not consist of one sole duty. Being able to apply various knowledge bases to your work is what makes you excel and stand out in any job.” I was fortunate enough to attend this mixer earlier in the year, and it was a new experience for me at the time, but I loved getting to talk to future employers and soak up all the information they had to share. a few new things that the article emphasized to add on to meet as many people as possible is to treat everyone as a future client/employer and you will always respect everyone. Lastly, to have a clear individualized approach, to stand out as yourself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

IA5

My favorite guest speaker over the year was Dr. Macagno, who gave us great insight to corporate social responsibility. Before this lesson, I...